Skip to content

Run Around the Rock 5M/10M/15M

October 31, 2009

The alarm chimed at 6:00 AM. I arose without a problem because I had been up intermittently throughout the night due to the Pride weekend celebrations happening in my neighborhood.

I had laid out my stuff the night before so I wouldn’t have to worry about it in the morning. After my shower I checked the weather outside. The television said 70, but I didn’t believe it so I stepped out on the balcony and was able to confirm the 70 degee temperature. 70 and very humid.

I got dressed and popped in an Eggo waffle for the road. At 6:35 I was on my way. Stone Mountain Park is about 30 minutes from my house so I arrived a little after 7 AM. The entrance fee is $10 or $35 for an annual pass, so I went ahead and got the annual pass. (I usually park outside the park and ride my bike in, which voids you having to pay the entrance fee.)

The Atlanta Track Club does a phenomenal job with their events. It is really unbelievable how organized they are. There were signs telling you where to go, people helping you park, tents were clearly marked as to where you could register. It was amazing. I arrived early and milled about for the 45 extra minutes that I had.

The race started promptly at 8:00 AM as scheduled. This race had 4 parts: Those running the 5 miles, those running the 10 miles and the group running the 15 miles. The other group was the Kilometer Kids who were running one of their series of races. Everyone except the Kilometer Kids started at the same time.

The course was a challenging 5 mile loop. The roads around Stone Mountain are very hilly. There were two pretty significant hills on this route and lots of little ones in between. The roads were wet and there were leaves on the ground which made some parts really slippery, lastly, around mile 7 it started raining. This was just a light rain and a preview of what was to come at mile 9. Torrential downpour. Windy. The trees were losing their leaves and we were running into the wind and leaves were sticking to our soaking wet bodies (and my face). It was an adventure. The roads quickly became very wet and we were all splashing in the 1/4 inch (or so) of water that was flowing in the roadway. My shoes felt like they weighed an extra pound each because they were so water logged.

The finish was slightly uphill and I was glad to be done. I ran across the finish line at 1:30:32 which I wasn’t too happy with, but ended up finishing 2nd in my age group (25-29).



Shoes and orthotics drying out in the shower

This was my first time running in the rain. I can’t say that I like it too much. I will see how my shoes and orthotics dry out, and if there isn’t a problem with them, then I will say that this was a success!


Update 11/1/2009
It looks as if my shoes dried out nicely. I read somewhere to wad up newspaper and stick them in the shoes to help keep their shape and help absorb the water. I didn’t have newspaper so I wadded up junk mail. It seems to have had the same effect. Also- more importantly to me, my orthotics seemed to dry out very nicely. Running in the rain? Not so bad. I just have to keep in mind that it will likely take more than 24 hours for my shoes to dry.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: